A Staffordshire-based landlord has been handed a suspended jail sentence after failing to provide evidence that a gas safety check had been carried out at one of his tenanted properties.
Newcastle-under-Lyme Magistrates’ Court heard how David Corry failed to present a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after numerous attempts from HSE representatives to obtain this certificate.
On August 11, 2016, HSE served Mr Corry with an Improvement Notice requiring him to arrange for a registered gas fitter to carry out an inspection of the gas appliances in one of his tenanted premises in Stafford, and to produce a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record. Mr Corry failed to comply with the Improvement Notice.
Mr Corry pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and Section 21 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. He was sentenced to serve a total of 36 weeks imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to complete 140 hours unpaid work. Mr Corry was also ordered to pay costs of £6,428.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector, Wayne Owen, said: “David Corry potentially put the health of his tenants at risk and also chose to ignore the repeated requests by the HSE to produce the gas safety record.
“Every year around seven people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. It is important that landlords fulfil their legal gas safety obligations to their tenants.”