An unregistered engineer has been jailed for 14 months after carrying out unsafe gas work at a property in Norfolk.
Norwich Crown Court heard how Christopher Johnson was contracted by the householder to install gas pipework, a gas cooker, gas hob and gas fire at a property in Bacton. After several gas leaks occurred, the householder contacted Gas Safe Register who inspected the work.
The installations, which took place in the summer of 2016, were classified by Gas Safe Register as ‘Immediately Dangerous’ and ‘At Risk’.
Mr Johnson had previously been prosecuted for similar offences in 2012 and 2013. He also falsified a Gas Safe registration number on invoices for the work.
Mr Johnson of Kings Lynn, Norfolk, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3 (2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. He also pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3 (1) and 3 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
Speaking after the hearing Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector, Ivan Brooke, said: “This work was dangerous and placed the householder and other contractors at risk from fire, explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning. Mr Johnson should have considered that being Gas Safe Registered is not an option when carrying out gas work; it is mandatory. He knew he was not qualified and should have declined this project.”